All about Motorcycle Coverage
Motorcycle insurance is mandated in Ohio and if you ride without insurance, a few scenarios could happen: You could get a fine, have your license revoked, be sued, or even land in jail. Ohio also requires a minimum amount of liability coverage, while comprehensive and collision coverage are optional unless you’re financing your bike, in which case your financing company may require those coverages.
What does motorcycle insurance cover?
- Liability: can pay for damages to other vehicles or objects, injuries to other drivers and passengers, and lawsuits if you’re sued due to an accident.
- Comprehensive: is typically required if you’re financing or leasing your bike and protects against events beyond your control, including theft, vandalism, windshield damage, fire, hitting an animal, and acts of nature.
- Collision: is also required by your lender and can pay for damages resulting from a crash with another vehicle or object or if your bike overturns, regardless of who’s at fault.
Uninsured/underinsured motorist property bodily injury and property damage: Uninsured motorist (UM) and underinsured motorist (UIM) coverages pay for repairs or replacement of your bike up to your policy’s limits if your motorcycle is damaged by a motorist with no insurance or without enough coverage. UM and UIM coverages also cover your injuries, up to the limits of your policy, if you’re hit by an uninsured or underinsured motorist.
Medical payments: This coverage pays for medical expenses for you and your passengers if you’re in an accident, regardless of fault.
Some carriers offer extra coverages. Check with your agent to see if any of these are available to you.
- New motorcycle if yours is totaled
- Total loss coverage
- Roadside assistance and trip interruption
- Carried contents and personal belonging
- Disappearing deductibles
- Lost wages if you get injured
- Full value for replacement parts
- Accessories and custom parts/equipment
- Original equipment manufacturer parts
- Accident forgiveness
What doesn’t motorcycle insurance cover?
Motorcycle insurance policies won’t cover the following:
- Track days or competitions
- Commercial use
- Wear and tear
Share this article
Info source: Progressive Insurance